On September 20, MCB4 published the recommendations issued by its Sanitation in Buildings Working Group. The team worked for the last 6 months to identify a few key changes that could be applied to building design and building management, in order to reduce the amount of trash on the sidewalk . Here are the highlights :
- Require universal use of rodent-proof containers compatible with future lift technology
- Require waste compacting and baling for all but the smallest residential buildings
- Enhance the Waste Management Plan to make it more comprehensive and applicable tomany more properties
- Require that interior space accommodate one week of waste
- For large buildings, require a waste staging area accessible to the street
- Require that waste be placed in the curb lane or put out no earlier than 8 pm
- Enforce existing and new regulations.
Moreover , we just learned that DSNY has hired McKinsey to reengineer how sanitation works in the city . They are serious about cleaning our sidewalks.