Yesterday in front of a packed room DOT described the many improvements that have already been implemented in Hell’s Kitchen as part of the study. Because they are diffuse many attendees were surprised that so much has been accomplished. You can see the whole presentation Here
Increasing Pedestrian Safety
- Increased pedestrian crossing time by 25% at all intersections on 8th and 9th Avenue to accommodate senior’s walking speed of 3ft per second
- implemented Lead Pedestrian Intervals at six crossings to give pedestrian a head start in the crossing.
- Implemented High visibility crosswalk with Set back stop bars at 6 intersections.
Reducing Bus idling and Improving the Air
- NYPD’s operation 8/42 removed 28 illegal jitneys from the Port Authority just two weeks ago
- implementation is in process for 40 new layover spaces or a 30 % increase in layover
- relocated two Grayline bus layover away from Holy Cross School
- created several new layover spaces west of 11th Avenue in 2009
Reducing Traffic Congestion
- Signal timing was feathered down on 9th avenue to reduce congestion below 47th Street
- “Don’t Block the Box” signs were installed at three intersections ( 42, 43, 44)
- Left Turn Lane was created on 42nd Street
- Bus stop was relocated at 42nd Street to allow turning movements