Although we have scored many successes in our battle to rid our streets of buses, we are still losing the war: curbside parking is disappearing as development in Hudson Yards accelerates, while the need to bring ever more tourists is growing. We need a bus garage to be built , a permanent solution the City promised in the 2005 Hudson Yards Rezoning.
Now we have a unique opportunity to push for it :
the New York Metropolitan Transportation Council (NYMTC) is updating the 25 year Regional Transportation Plan, a strategic blueprint for how the federal and state transportation funding should be spent in our region. Public input is accepted as we speak.
ASK for a BUS GARAGE to be included in the plan .
You can make it happen by VOTING for the idea HERE.
NOTE : the site requires you to create a user id and password , but it is well worth the effort. You will be able to vote for other safety initiatives to be included in the plan (see below).
Manhattan Community Board 4 sent a resolution to NYMTC and our elected officials, asking for the following ideas to be included in the plan, in addition to a bus garage. Click on each idea that you want to vote for:
- Split phase signals to allow conflict free crossings for pedestrian along bike lanes
- Cross Hudson Tunnel to New Jersey for commuting by mass transit
- Cross Harbor Freight Tunnel to remove many trucks from our streets
- 41st Street Subway station on the # 7 Extension
CHEKPEDS has also asked for the following ideas to be included in the plan in addition to the above. Click on each idea that you want to vote for:
- Red light and Speed cameras at 100s of locations
- Split phases and turn lanes at all intersections
- Ban all left turns on two way streets
- Change signal timing to limit speed to 20 miles per hour
- Widen sidewalks along bike lanes – if warranted
- Physically Separate Select bus lane on each bridge and tunnel in and out of manhattan
- Reduce the amount of parking built
- Automatic engine turn off for all trucks and buses