- January 10, 2011: Jerrold Chaleff, 71 years old; run over in a mall parking lot in the Bronx. No charges filed.
- February 27, 2011: 27-year old victim; car broke down on the BQE. Got out and was in front of his car when a driver slammed into the broken down vehicle, killing the owner. No charges filed.
- March 21, Margaret Choberka, 82 years old; crossing at the intersection of 70th Street and 32nd Avenue in Jackson Heights, a driver ran a red light, hitting the back of another driver’s vehicle which ran over Choberka. No charges filed.
- June 2, 2011: Leonia White, 89 years old; run over after a driver collided with pickup truck. No charges filed.
- July 1, 2011: Yolanda Cassel, 78 years old; run over by an unlicensed driver who continued reversing and slamming into her and her daughter. Driver only charged with not having a license–as if that’s what killed Yolanda Casal.
- July 17, 2011: Eric Bryant, driving 112 miles per hour, careens off the FDR and lands on a taxi below. Eight people are injured, several seriously. No charges filed.
- August 30, 2011: Erica Abbott, 29 years old; struck and killed by a driver after trying to avoid debris in the road and falling off her bike on Bushwick Avenue. No charges filed.
- October 25, 2011: Marian Siegel, 86 years old; struck by a tow truck driver on 5th Avenue while walking with the light. Driver left the scene and had to be tracked down. Said he was unaware he hit Marian. No charges filed.
Over and over again, we see this pattern. A careless, distracted or speeding driver takes a human life and the police shrug. This cavalier attitude to an epidemic of lawless driving is absolutely unacceptable. The NYPD should have an explicit zero tolerance policy on dangerous and lethal driving. The families of the victims deserve nothing less than a crackdown on the driving behavior that took their loved ones away from them.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly and Mayor Bloomberg are failing to enforce basic traffic laws!
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly and Mayor Bloomberg are failing to uphold a basic standard of due care!
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly and Mayor Bloomberg are failing to hold lethal drivers accountable for their lawless actions!